Cheng Chao-Tsun（鄭兆村）yesterday added another gold medal to Taiwan’s tally at the Taipei Summer Universiade and set a Universiade javelin record of 91.36m. （鄭兆村昨日在2017台北世大運又幫台灣贏得一金入袋，並且以91.36公尺創下了世大運標槍的紀錄。）
set a record是談到運動賽事必會出現的片語，只是上文中加入一些其他訊息表達詳細資訊，順序由大到小，賽事到項目。 (1) 先說明關於什麼賽事的紀錄：the Taipei Summer Universiade台北世大運 (2) 接著說何種比賽的項目：Universiade javelin世大運標槍項目
另外句中用了tally這個單字，英文解釋為a current score or amount（目前的得分或數量），也就是中華隊目前累積獎牌數的意思，而鄭兆村的成績讓台灣獎牌數更上層樓。
2. clock 取得、設下紀錄
Irishman Shane Ryan was already knocking on the door of a breakthrough swim when clocking a new national record last night in the men’s 50m backstroke, but the 23-year-old made history in Taipei tonight. （愛爾蘭選手Shane Ryany在昨晚的男子50公尺仰式項目早已取得國內新紀錄，敲開游泳項目突破的大門，而今晚這名年僅23歲的選手則是創造了歷史。）
To: Hank Martin <firstname.lastname@example.org> From: Anna Sabiani <email@example.com> Date: August 28 11:47 Subject: Promotional opportunity
Hi Hank, I am forwarding the press release about the Solar Trophy that I mentioned to you this morning.
I met Bill Bradley, the race coordinator, at the solar energy conference in Manila where he was giving a presentation about the event. I understand from him that the first race was a huge success and generated enormous media coverage both in traditional media and on the Internet.
For the next edition of the race he is expecting applications from as many as twenty yachts from seven different countries, including Japan. He suggested that we might like to sponsor one of the crews especially as we are already supplying marine versions of our solar panels to a number of boatyards in Europe and Asia. He particularly recommended that we contact Sven Hadrada of SailYard boats as they are apparently considering entering the race.
We've both worked with SailYard on several occasions. Do you think you could contact them as soon as possible and set up a meeting to explore ways of working together on this?
1. What is the Solar Trophy? (A) A competition for road vehicles (B) A solar energy research award (C) A boat race (D) A shipping company
2. Which type of craft can enter the Solar Trophy? (A) Ocean liners (B) Inflatable boats (C) Sailboats (D) Solar-powered yachts
3. How many times has the Solar Trophy been held? (A) Once (B) Twice (C) Three Times (D) Ten Times
1. 正確答案(C)。題目問Solar Trophy是什麼？信中屢屢提到race這個單字，如I met Bill Bradley, the race coordinator緊接著在作者提到solar trophy後面，還有the first race也提到首次的比賽，都顯示作者正在談論一個比賽。因此只有選項(C)船賽符合文意，(A)車賽、(B)太陽能獎項、(D)船運公司都不合理。
2. 正確答案(D)。題目問什麼樣的作品可以進入太陽獎杯比賽？首先作者提到Bill Bradley在the solar energy conference in Manila（馬尼拉的太陽能會議）中was giving a presentation about the event（上台介紹這個活動），由此可見這場賽事應該跟太陽能有關。後面也提到要這間公司sponsor one of the crews（贊助其中一間參賽隊伍），理由是這間公司already supplying marine versions of our solar panels to a number of boatyards in Europe and Asia（早就提供歐洲和亞洲許多船塢海上版的太陽能板），更可以看出來這場賽事應該是跟太陽能相關的比賽，才會希望早在這領域耕耘的公司認養贊助。因此答案為(D)太陽能傳動的遊艇。
3. 正確答案(A)。題目問這比賽已經舉辦幾次？文中提到the first race was a huge success（第一次的比賽大成功），而後面提到for the next edition of the race he is expecting …（下一次的比賽他預期…）這個語法代表的是未來式，代表下一次的賽事還未舉辦，只是在籌辦過程中，因此答案為(A)一次。