A new ruling which came into effect last week requires some homeowners to purchase new smoke alarms. The ordinance states that there should be a fire alarm installed in every bedroom of the house, and these alarms must comply with certain safety standards. Some local residents are displeased at these new regulations. Gwen Ellis of McKinley says that to meet with the new regulations, she has to buy five new alarms to replace the ones she installed just six months ago. With fire alarms costing up to $20 apiece, this is an unwelcome ruling for many people. Fortunately, the McKinley Fire Department is offering grants for homeowners and will provide and install new fire alarms free of charge. If you have small children or are older than 65 years of age, you may be eligible for these. The McKinley Fire Department has 5,000 smoke alarms to give away. To inquire about obtaining a free alarm, or to find out whether you qualify, call 692-569-0372.
1. Which of the following is true about the new rule? (A) Every house should have five fire alarms. (B) All fire alarms must be of a certain quality. (C) All fire alarms need to first be approved by the Fire Department. (D) All fire alarms must be less than six months old.
2. How much do five fire alarms cost? (A) $20 (B) $100 (C) $120 (D) $4
3. Which of the following people may be able to receive a free fire alarm? (A) an elderly couple (B) a family of two adults and two teenagers (C) a woman living alone (D) a man who owns his own home
1. 正解為(B)。第一句問說「那個敘述是正確的？」根據文章開頭的說明「these alarms must comply with certain safety standards.（這些警報器必須符合特定的安全標準）」，我們可以得知答案應該要選(B)，符合特定的品質（of a certain quality）指的就是安全標準。這裡注意comply with是常見表達符合的動詞片語。
2. 正解為(B)。第二句問說「5個警報器花費多少？」文章中提到「With fire alarms costing up to $20 apiece…（每個警報器花費高達20元）」，apiece是個數量詞，指的每個單品，所以我們可簡單算出20*5=100，故答案應該選(B)。只要知道apiece這個單字的意思，這題很輕易可以選出答案。
3. 正解為(A)。第三題問說「下面那種人可以獲得免費的警報器？」文章提到「If you have small children or are older than 65 years of age, you may be eligible for these.（如果你家中有小孩或是你為65歲以上的居民，你便符合資格）」，而這裡的資格在前面便已經說明「the McKinley Fire Department is offering grants for homeowners and will provide and install new fire alarms free of charge（McKinley消防局提供補助給擁房居民，免費提供並安裝全新的火災警報器。）」因此答案須選(A)，一對老夫婦。Elderly通常意指年長者，符合65歲以上的規定。這裡特別要注意的片語有be eligible for…（符合…資格的），以及free of charge這個片語，指的就是免費。